Friday, April 9, 2010

Everytime he does that thing he does.

When I was a little girl, my favorite actor – aside from one Kermit the Frog – was Tom Hanks. I could watched Big and The Money Pit and Joe vs. The Volcano for hours on end. If Sleepless in Seattle is on – and let’s face it, it’s the Law and Order of movies in that it seems to be on some channel at any point during the day – I’ll watch it. Even at the gym, despite its lack of upbeat keep-your-butt-moving music.

As gifted as he is with comedy, he’s equally so with drama. The man made me cry over a volleyball in Castaway, for heaven’s sake. I could go on and on, but a quick look at his IMDB page reveals so many of my favorite movies (and I'm a few minutes from getting off work and don't have that kind of time). I’m pretty sure that he’s going to have me bawling again in Toy Story 3.

As if he didn’t already have my heart, he appeared on a Jeopardy! skit on Saturday Night Live. IN A PLASTIC DRY CLEANING BAG.


I’ve discussed this with a few people, but I’m thinking we need to find the next Tom Hanks. Not that I think this one’s going anywhere anytime soon. But who’s the next quadruple threat? In addition to making us laugh and cry, he has to be able to write, direct, and produce. And do it well while being exceptionally endearing at the same time.

Any thoughts?

8 comments:

Razorback said...

I see how it goes... I talk and you don't listen to me. Sniffles.

Zachary Levi is the next Tom Hanks. :)

Amanda Mason said...

Magnus my dear,

LOLOL. It's not that I didn't listen to you! (Or that I disagree!) I just needed a good Friday afternoon blog post that didn't require too much thought because my brain power is GONE. ;)

Unknown said...

I'm with Magnus Anton Lekay on that one. Zachary Levi have a lot of potentials to be the next Tom Hanks, He made me laugh, cried and have tremendous talent, not forgetting that he have a lot of chemistry with his onscreen partners. An upbeat and awesome charismatic person too!

Razorback said...

I understand, Midtown Mandy. I just thought you were ignoring my genius again. That made me all kinds of sady face.

But now I am cool like TOOL.

Amanda Mason said...

An informal poll conducted in my department has revealed that if people could combine Joseph Gordon Levitt, Vince Vaughn, and Paul Rudd, you'd get the next Tom Hanks.

So, Paul Gordon Vaughn?

Heather Gerber said...

I agree - Zachary Levi is the next Tom Hanks. Uber talented, compelling in both comedy and drama, and from everything I've seen, an all-around genuinely nice guy.

[soccerboy] said...

You're not going to believe me, but that's okay - nobody believed Tom when he was unknown, either. I AM THE NEXT TOM HANKS. I act, direct, write and produce, that's my skill set. Oh, and I sing and dance too. ;)

aiya said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.