Saturday, August 8, 2009

Missing My Sissy...

And I reckon that as soon as she can see this blog -- in approximately five and a half weeks -- she will want to murder me in my sleep for calling her "sissy." She used to hate it when I did that in high school, though I honestly never did it to "get her goat." It was a genuine term of affection.


So my darling sister Katy is now in basic training for the United States Air Force at Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. Now, I haven't lived within 1,000 miles of my sister since I left for Los Angeles six years ago, but somehow I really, really miss her. We had gotten into a habit of talking on the phone during my work commute most mornings, so that first Tuesday after she left was very difficult.

When she first told me that she was planning on joining a year or so back (the entire process took a long time), my immediate reaction was to tear up and tell her "NO." In my mind, I saw my sister getting shipped overseas to assist in the wars, thus putting her life at risk. Selfishly, I found myself hoping that they would deny her entry based on her history of migraine headaches or Osgood-Schlatter's Disease. It's something I'm not necessarily proud of and I eventually got over it. Katy had been down for a little bit, feeling like she was a failure and a financial burden, so I worried that this was a knee-jerk reaction and something she was doing because she felt it was her only way out. She proved me wrong, though. Over time, I realized that this was something she honestly wanted to do, something she was actually excited about. At that point, I couldn't help but be excited for her.

I was lucky to be home in Texas the week before she left for basic training. She made me administrator on the Facebook group that would provide people updates on what she was doing and how to get in touch with her. I was going to be the one call she got to make upon arrival in San Antonio. I kept my phone near me all day long. The one exception was a yoga class that started at 8:30 p.m. my time (which would have been 10:30 p.m. there). I figured that by that point, she had decided to call my mom instead. I always assumed military folk were "early to bed, early to rise." I was in the midst of downward-facing dog when I heard the xylophoney iPhone ringtone coming from the cubby area at the back of the studio. Even though at least half of the people in there probably had iPhones, I knew in my heart it was her. I spent the rest of yoga silently crying and feeling like Sister Failure. Once class was over, I ran to my phone and confirmed that it was indeed a 210 number that called. I was her one call and I missed it. Her voicemail was surprisingly terse. She called me "Amanda," which she hadn't really done in years (she uses my nickname "Mush"). Her voice sounded upbeat, but she gave me her address and then she was gone.


My only selfish worry now is that the Air Force is going to change my sister. I know it's going to change her. The thing is... I love my sister the way she is. My goofy, happy, make-her-sister-blush Katy. She's "the mean aunt" to my nephew (which actually means she's the loud, slightly-bossy one). She's the person who went around to select boys at the Lake View High School Homecoming Dance my senior year and told them to ask me to dance. She's the one who can seemingly say anything to my grandpa and, rather than offend him, make him laugh. She's the one who seems to make it her life's purpose when I'm home to make me laugh very loudly -- even if whatever she does gets her in "trouble" with our mom.

I can only hope that the Air Force simply "improves" or "upgrades" my sister. She'll still be the same goofy girl on the inside, but with a more grown-up outlook. From what I've heard, she's excelling in San Antonio. She's been given extra responsibilities and actually won half an hour of patio time by answering 13-of-13 questions correctly in front of her commanders. She's playing trumpet in the band. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to attend her graduation ceremony next month. It's at 7:15 a.m. on a Friday morning, which makes it difficult for me to take time off of work. I promise to make it up to her when she's out here...

Because she will be! She's going to language school in Monterey, which means we'll share a time zone and, once she has off-base privileges, will actually get to hang out. Her official title is going to be cryptolinguist -- and how badass is that? I can't wait to get to see her and hug her neck and take her out for her birthday. Even though I was trepidatious about her joining, I could not be prouder of her and I can not wait to show her off... My badass cryptolinguist sister.

No comments: