Monday, May 18, 2009

Work on your mu-sic?

Who am I and what have I done with Amanda?

The following is an IM conversation I had with my roommate (who we will henceforth refer to as "Maleficent"*) this morning:


Amanda (10:29:48 AM): Well on iTunes, I downloaded the Kooks, which is really good. And on eMusic (which is mp3, and easy to share), I downloaded Passion Pit
Amanda (10:30:17 AM): And a couple of songs from Dent May and His Magical Ukelele
Amanda (10:30:22 AM): Oh and the Patrick Watson album
Maleficent (10:35:24 AM): i have no idea who some of those people are
Amanda (10:35:53 AM): I just read what I wrote and was all, "Whuuuuuh?" Jason Bentley has inspired me!
Maleficent (10:36:04 AM): tee hee
Amanda (10:36:06 AM): (As well as my eMusic account, which is probably the best $11 I spend all month.)
Maleficent (10:36:31 AM): good!
Amanda (10:36:48 AM): Bentley has been playing a song called "Big Bird in a Small Cage" quite a bit recently. First time I heard it, I thought it was an Alison Krauss duet.
Amanda (10:36:55 AM): It was by Patrick Watson.
Amanda (10:37:25 AM): So I did that. Passion Pit is kind of like Vampire Weekend and Little Joy (note to self - find that album) in that they're very upbeat.
Amanda (10:37:28 AM): With a hint of MGMT
Maleficent (10:37:44 AM): HEE
Maleficent (10:37:47 AM): you're cracking me up.

* Yes, as in that Maleficent. This was her choice, not mine. I'm not making any statements on her personality, as I don't make a habit of cohabitating with bitchy witches who morph into dragons. Just to clear that up... (Though now I'm imagining the real Maleficent saying "tee hee" and it's muy amusing.)

(Real) Maleficent: Tee hee! You fools crack me up! Thinking you could defeat me, *me*! The Mistress of All Evil! Well, here's your precious princess!

My favorite thing this morning was the realization that the cover of Vampire Weekend's "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" that was playing was being performed by none other than Peter Gabriel (with Hot Chip). Earlier in the conversation, we discussed how The Decemberists bring to mind sedate music, but that the single I heard this morning was "rocking." (That would be "The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid.")

Don't get me wrong, I've liked indie music before. This is nothing new to me -- but never to this degree. Before, it was a little Band of Horses here, a smidge of The Shins there, with a pinch of Arcade Fire on top. Now, I'm actually talking about bands called Vampire Weekend and The Kooks and Passion Pit with a straight face. With the what now?

It's not like I spend, well, any time at the Echoes or the Spacelands of the world. Having a job doesn't allow me to drop into Amoeba for their live sets. No, this gradual adoration of indie music is due in large part to KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, which makes my morning commutes somewhat enjoyable. (Sorry, Jason Bentley, but not even your fantastic music selection can completely negate over half an hour in my car.) The show is available for live streaming through iTunes on weekdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon PST. You can also listen to the most recent show any time at KCRW's web site. Two enthusiastic thumbs up.

Other influences are television and the Interschnitzel because, let's face it, I am weak and quite malleable when it comes to product placement and music usage. In my defense, I've always been a soundtrack junkie. The first show that did music well (for me) was Alias. By the time that show was over, I had an iPod playlist long enough to get me through an entire eight hour workday. Now, there are shows like Chuck and Grey's (even though I haven't watched in two years), which have added about three more workdays to Telly the iPod.

If any of these bands intrigue you at all, I also have to use this opportunity to recommend Rockville CA, which is a web series streaming at TheWB.com. The afore-mentioned Passion Pit and The Kooks were each featured in webisodes of the show. Plus, it's very fun, so run along now and give it a look!

On a completely random aesthetic note, is it just me or does the cover for Vampire Weekend's album remind one of Hotel Hudson in NYC? That brings to mind bagels and Apple Jacks and Grimaldi's in Brooklyn and Dr. Stephen T. Colbert, D.F.A. And oh I need to go back sooooon.

I shall leave you with my favorite quote of the day, brought to you by our dear friend Maleficent. I'm not even going to provide context, because it's even more fun without it...

Maleficent (12:20:50 PM): LOL, (my boss) just asked me to tweet about yoga and sex today.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

This is why I will never be a hipster. Not that I'm saying you are, but I just find music to be the last thing I want to keep up with.

That being said, that is an awesome IM convo. Not that I would expect anything less from you two.

And yes, you need to come back to NYC very, very soon.