Tuesday, March 10, 2009

It's Friday, I'm (not) in love.

Do you ever have those conversations that go the same way day after day after day?

Like, take for instance, the "Friday" conversation. I loathe this conversation, but it's unavoidable on a Friday. And, well, if I don't catch myself, I find myself becoming part of the problem.

INT. CENTURY CITY OFFICE BUILDING - ELEVATOR - DAY

Your typical busy morning. People rush into elevator cars with their STARBUCKS CUPS. Two of these people are JANE and JOHN, co-workers at the same company.

JOHN
Mornin'.

JANE
Hey John. How are you?

JOHN
Oh, doin' great. Have my Starbucks. It's Friday.

JANE
Yep, it's Friday.

JOHN
I'm so glad. Got any big plans for the weekend?

JANE
Nope. Just rest. This week was just...augh.

JOHN
Sounds like a plan.


Okay, see what I mean? That scene doesn't even have to take place in an elevator. It could be at the bathroom sink. (Anywhere else in the bathroom and it's uncomfortable.) It could be at the coffee machine. It could be at the odious Arrowhead water cooler. Friday, Friday, Friday.

Look, I enjoy my alarm-clock-free days as much as the next girl. Really. But we need to move beyond the Friday conversation. My goal is to never say "It's Friday" ever again. I don't know why it bugs, but it does.

But now I've noticed a new phenomenon in my not-quite-social life. I'm finding myself having the same conversations with clients on a day-to-day basis. For example:

ME: "(Executive's) office."
CLIENT: "Hi, Amanda. It's (Client)."
ME: "Hi (Client)!"
CLIENT: "How are you?"
ME: "I'm fine. How are you today?" (I intentionally tack a "today" on the end so as not to seem like a copy-cat.)
CLIENT: "I'm fine, too."
ME: "That's good!"
CLIENT: "Is (Executive) around?"
ME: "He's actually in a meeting. Can I have him give you a call back?"
CLIENT: "Yes, please."
ME: "I'll do that."
CLIENT: "Thanks, Amanda."
ME: "Thanks, (Client)."

Every. Time. We. Talk.

I need to mix this up a bit. Any ideas?

No comments: