Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ever feel like a character in a Candace Bushnell novel?

Here's my Facebook status from yesterday: "Mandy is listening to the most recent Morning Becomes Eclectic, admiring her new Betsy Johnsons, and contemplating a class at UCLA Extension. She feels interesting." Seriously. I felt like I sounded like a character in "Sex and the City" or something. I think it was just using "her new Betsy Johnsons" that made me feel that way.

So yes. I have new shoes. The network which employs me just wrapped a movie involving high fashion and the development executive, upon discovering that I had size 7 1/2 feet, graciously gave me a pair of shoes from said movie. I have never in my life worn such ostentatious shoes. (I almost said that I had never owned such ostentatious shoes, but that's a falsehood. I did, for some time, own a pair of avocado green platform sandals, but I never did wear them out of the house because I couldn't find anything to coordinate them with.)

I may have to start buying more interesting shoes. As my roomie put it, these were quite the ice breaker. Everywhere I went yesterday, people were telling me how cute my shoes were. The bathroom. The hallway. CAA. Poquito Mas. And here I had gone along thinking that shoes were just something to cover my feet... But maybe I can meet Prince Charming and then write a Lifetime movie about how Betsy Johnson changed my life because Prince Charming noticed my shoes.

I also need to buy some in-soles, because hoo boy these things hurt like nobody's business. I was walking around like Malibu Barbie. Not only were they tall, but the balls of my feet were screaming at me. Yeah, I could have put on my more conservative Naturalizers, but naaaah. BEAUTY IS PAIN, RIGHT?

I did have a funny realization -- These shoes actually match a dress I owned at age six. It had a foofy skirt and red rick-rack and bright floral colors. When I played Eve in the church play, that's what I wore. Because that's totally what the real Eve wore and all.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss rick-rack.