Friday, January 19, 2007

I go to a cheap gym.

Since the beginning of the year, I've become obsessed with the idea of paying off all non-automobile and non-student-loan debt that I have. Note that I've become obsessed with the idea, as I've yet to actually do any of that debt-reduction stuff. But hey, I'm still trying to earn my SAG money, so after that...

Anyway, one of the ways I had thought about conserving money was to give up my gym membership. I've realized, though, that I'm going to have to have a membership somewhere or I'm never going to work out. I am patheti-sad. So, I tinkered with the idea of going to a gym closer to where I work -- somewhere I wouldn't have to drive half an hour in eastbound traffic just to get to. I work in Century City, right across the courtyard from the much-heralded new CAA digs. In response to the new influx of supah-agents, Equinox is opening a new place across from Westfield. I figured it couldn't be more than what I currently pay so I decided to check it out this afternoon.

Holy. Freaking. Crap. You guys.

Yeah, their initiation fee is $1,200. Their monthly dues are $225. Two hundred and twenty five BONES. A MONTH.

I've been lamenting the $74 I pay every month. Not anymore. Cost-wise, my gym is freaking sketch compared to theirs. (Actually, in the interest of fairness, I do have to say that I like my gym very much -- it's under new ownership and they're revamping it.)

Yipes. Just...yipes.

No comments: