Saturday, June 30, 2007

Why do I love country music?


I could just cut to the chase and say, "Because I just do." But there has to be some obvious reason that my car stereo has been tuned to the local country station more often than not these days.

Perhaps the biggest reason is that, to me, country music is representative of home. I can be listening to a song, stuck in traffic on the 405, but my mind will be in the front seat of a minivan after having picked my little brother up at baseball practice. Or sitting in the back seat, my Bible in my lap, on the way to church on Sunday morning. (My eyes are always on the road -- so do not fret, dear L.A. drivers.)

The songs are about the simple life, a life I don't feel I can truly live out here. I see my mom in the kitchen in a pair of sweats and the house shoes we bought her the previous Christmas. Or I see my dad on the couch, dozing his way through part of the Sunday afternoon football game. (Food coma!!) I'm in my brother's pickup, blasting Randy Rogers as we navigate Loop 289 in Lubbock. Or setting the table for dinner, making sure the paper napkins are folded symmetrically underneath the silverware. I'm rocking in the wooden rocker in the living room with my cat in my lap. Or sitting down to a piece of pie and a game of canasta with my grandparents.

Country music makes me realize how I want to be loved -- how much I want to be loved. It makes me realize how much I want to love in return. How much I want to have a go at being half the mother my mama and stepmom are.

Country reminds me of everything I have, which is especially important during the times when I'm lamenting my have-nots. It reminds me that I'm blessed. To have such an amazing and loving family. To have such strong and true friends. To have a roof over my head. Something to eat in the fridge.

Country takes me home, even when I can't go myself. So tonight I sit here in the rocker in my L.A. bedroom and listen to a country song. Mentally, I drive down Oakes and then 19th and then Armstrong until I get where I'm going.

Until I get back home.

** (Note...this is not to disparage L.A. or anything -- sometimes I just get a little homesick.)

1 comment:

Stormy said...

Well said Amanda!! I listen to country music all the time...my roomie says it's because I like to listen to the words and the "good" songs are truly beautiful. I takes me home, reminds me of my Daddy,GG, and all the simple things that make life truly life. It takes me to a place I love, but know someehow I could not go back there now..maybe one day..but not now.